Monday, April 16, 2007

Can you say "Awkward"

If you know me, then you know that I sometimes say things that can come out scandalous or awkward and I believe this happens for three reasons:
1. I try to stay as innocent as possible and sometimes I don't realize that what I say can have a completely different connotation.
2. I talk REALLY fast and put words together or leave words out.
3. Sometimes I forget to think before I speak

So let me just tell you something I said to a 12 year old boy last week...

As most of you know, last week was Spring Break for many local school districts. Because of this, many leaders and staff brought their kids into the office. Well, last Tuesday I had 4 people to interview and worked an 11 hour day. That morning at 8am, a lady came in for an orientation and interview and brought her 2 young kidlets with her. It was going to be about 45 minutes so I showed the 2 boys all the board games and coloring books we have. One of the little boys knows me from Kid's Quest and asked me if he could play with the Gameboy that is in the bucket (it was still in the box-unopened). I of course told him "yes" and opened it up for him. I didn't know there were Gameboys in there so I looked in the bucket and found a mini Playstation too. Having the 2 kids play a quiet game so I could talk to their mom was awesome and I was really excited that I can tell other people about the games.

Later that day, around 4pm, there were 3 Junior High teens helping us with photocopying and other "fun" stuff. One of the teens (Ian) came over to Liza--who sits behind me-- and told her that he was bored and the other girls (one being his sister) would not let him help with the copying. I faintly heard this conversation because I was focusing on my emails and KQ tasks that needed to be done. When I heard Liza tell him that she has nothing to do and that his mom won't be back for another hour, I quickly turned around and said,

"Ian, there are a bunch of playboys in the orientation room."

10 seconds later, it struck. What did I just say?!? I turned back to Liza and Ian and both had bright red faces and jaws dropping to the floor. I was SO embarrassed that I started laughing hard and fell out of my chair. I then told them, "Sorry, I was reading an email and didn't hear what I just said." Well that made it worse because Liza exclaims, "What kind of emails do YOU get!!!" Friends, I have NEVER been so embarrassed. Poor 12 year old Ian--SORRY!

So, as a safety precaution to you, please do NOT add Gameboy and Playstation together--it comes out REALLY bad :-)

~Tammy

PS-- I did talk to his mom about what I said...didn't want her to hear it from any other source. She thought it was HILARIOUS TOO!!!

3 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

That is the funniest story EVER! You are sweet, innocent AND AMAZING, oh and FUNNY! I love you Tammy, when can you sit with my kidlits again so we can have a "date night?" Or better yet....a "date weekend?" You can be funny with my kids!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

Three questions:
A.) What kind of e-mails do you get,
B.) What were you looking at on the computer, and
C.) Does the quote "It's like a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" ring a bell? Where is your mind spacing out at?

Pretty funny though!

Brent said...

Classic Tammy. That's great.